What is phishing? Phishing is when a fraudster pretends to be someone you trust to steal information from you.
3 Things to know about phishing
- A fraudster often use tax season, holidays, and unexpected events to target individuals.
- Fraudsters will appeal to your best intentions and worst fears. In some cases pretending to be charities or lying about a family member’s health.
- Phishing attempts do not just stop at people, fraudsters can also target companies and organizations.
5 Ways to spot a phishing email
- The email shows a sense of emergency in attempt to make one click without thinking.
- Claims there is a problem with an account or payment information.
- May have a generic greeting such as “Hello” or “Dearest friend”.
- Asks to make a payment or includes a fake invoice.
- The email is poorly written and/or the email address does not look legitimate.
For additional tips and more information, please visit https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-recognize-and-avoid-phishing-scams